Dear Church Family
We're now in the 11-day period between Ascension and Pentecost. This is the season that, for the last few years, our two Archbishops have been asking the church to set aside to pray for a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit, to equip us for mission. There is much going on! The most important thing is that we pray, and invite. Please be doing these two things.
So please pray. During these few days there are all sorts of events happening on our city to help us to pray. To find out more about these, click here. Some of these city-wide prayer events are taking place in St Cuthbert's House of Prayer, including:
- Friday 11th May (tonight): 6-7pm 'Gather' prayer event
(plus similar 'Gather' events each night at 6pm in other churches)
- Tuesday 15th May: 10am-12noon 'Worship, Bible Reading & Prayer'
- Wednesday 16th May: 11am-1pm 'Worship, Bible Reading & Prayer'
- Thursday 17th May: 10am-12noon 'Worship, Bible Reading & Prayer'
- Friday 18th May: 10am-12noon 'Worship, Bible Reading & Prayer'
In addition to these prayer events, and an evangelism team being based in St Helen's Square for much of the week, there are lots of smaller evangelistic events taking place in our city with most churches doing something to share the good news of Jesus. In our church, you should find that your Belfrey Group will be doing something missional in the next few days, so please do join in and invite friends and family to come. There are also a few centrally organised things that you might like to invite guests to, including:
- Monday 14th May: 12noon-4pm 'Reading of Luke's Gospel' in St Michael le Belfrey Church (drop in any time!)
- Wednesday 16th May: 12.30pm 'Lunchtime Service' in St Michael le Belfrey Church with gospel message from Paul Myers
- Thursday 17th May: 7.30pm Warren Furman telling his story of why he now follows Jesus, at The Vicarage, Jubilee Terrace
- Saturday 19th May: 9.30am-11am 'Men's Breakfast' with Roger Simpson & Archbishop of York
Saturday 19th May: 10.30am-4pm 'Family Fun Day' at The Storehouse, Mansfield Street
Saturday 19th May: 11.30am-3.30pm 'Royal Wedding' shown on big screen in church, with cafe
- Sunday 20th May: 9am & 11am 'Invitation (guest) Services' in St Michael le Belfrey Church
Finally, this great season of prayer and mission will end with a special 'beacon event' service in York Minster on Sunday 20th May at 7.30pm which should be a great evening of celebration, with the Archbishop of York speaking.
So pray and invite. Those are the two main things being asked of us doing during this Thy Kingdom Come season. For 'If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will heal their land' (2 Chronicles 7:14).